Welcome to How To’s – A blog that provide readers with daily computer tutorials, technology news, software reviews, and personal computing tips.
A collection of Tech Tip features, which answer questions about technology, devices and apps in our lives.
- These crooks have stolen millions of passwords. Here’s how to avoid becoming their next victim - Gangs targeting Amazon, PayPal, Steam and other accounts have stolen over 50 million passwords during the first half of 2022 alone, along with bank account details, cryptocurrency wallet data and other sensitive information from victims. Detailed by cybersecurity researchers at security company Group-IB, the password-stealing campaign is attributed to 34 different Russian-speaking cyber-criminal groups involved in distributing malware-as-a-service schemes. People have fallen victim to the attacks across the world, with the US, Brazil, India, Germany,… Continue Reading
- What is Patch Management? - Patches are lines of code that influence the behavior of an application, operating system, or platform. They are often released to correct errors in code, optimize current features, or add new features to software. Patch management is the consistent and repeatable process of distributing and implementing updates to software. Patch management policies define the processes an organization should implement to consistently and reliably update software without negatively impacting their systems. Table of Contents In recent… Continue Reading
- The ultimate Windows troubleshooting trick - For the past few months I've been running the latest Insider preview releases of Windows 11 on my main PC. In preparation for the version 22H2 feature update, which was released in October, I moved to the Release Preview channel. Because those versions have already been through testing by larger groups in the Dev and Beta channels, that's a fairly low-risk strategy. But it's not without occasional hiccups. Here are ZDNET's top picks for a… Continue Reading
- How to encrypt email in Thunderbird (and why you should) - Most Popular 'ZDNET Recommends': What exactly does it mean? ZDNET's recommendations are based on many hours of testing, research, and comparison shopping. We gather data from the best available sources, including vendor and retailer listings as well as other relevant and independent reviews sites. And we pore over customer reviews to find out what matters to real people who already own and use the products and services we’re assessing. When you click through from our… Continue Reading
- You reset your Windows PC and ended up with Home edition. Here's how to get your Pro upgrade back - Most Popular Relax: If you reinstall Windows Pro, the activation servers will restore the activation without a squawk. There are many reasons why you might want to use the reset option to give your Windows-based PC a fresh start. Maybe you've been running Insider preview releases and you want to return to the stability of the General Availability channel. Perhaps you're handing down an old PC to another family member and you want to clean off all… Continue Reading
- How to improve your Windows laptop's battery life - Most PopularCan you make it through an entire workday without having to recharge your laptop battery. Laptop makers want you to think so. That's why so many brag that their models should get 8 hours of battery life. But no matter how carefully you shop for a new Windows laptop, you're not going to get anything close to that.You're not doing something wrong. Instead, as you've discovered, there's really no industry standard to measure battery… Continue Reading
- How to enable end-to-end encryption for Facebook Messenger chats - Most Popular'ZDNET Recommends': What exactly does it mean?ZDNET's recommendations are based on many hours of testing, research, and comparison shopping. We gather data from the best available sources, including vendor and retailer listings as well as other relevant and independent reviews sites. And we pore over customer reviews to find out what matters to real people who already own and use the products and services we’re assessing.When you click through from our site to a… Continue Reading
- How to recall an email in Outlook - Ever sent an embarrassing email to your boss? Mixed up clients and emailed the wrong information? Here's how to recall a message in Microsoft Outlook or Undo send on a Mac. We've all felt the fear of sending an email too early, without the proper attachment, or to the completely wrong person, and then having to quickly craft an anxious email with a creative excuse -- or simply succumb to embarrassment. Microsoft Outlook is one… Continue Reading
- Inside a ransomware incident: How a single mistake left a door open for attackers - There are many things you can do to protect yourself against cyberattacks - but if you still don't do the basics, then it's easy pickings for cyber criminals. A security vulnerability that was left unpatched for three years allowed a notorious cyber-criminal gang to breach a network and plant ransomware. The BlackCat ransomware attack against the undisclosed organization took place in March 2022 and has been detailed by cybersecurity researchers at Forescout who investigated the… Continue Reading
- Don’t want your phone hacked? Just do this one thing - If you follow one phone security best practice, make it this one. Every so often I have to dive back into the waters of mobile security and offer up a hard truth for users to swallow. Most often those truths are pretty easy to accept, such as never installing a piece of software unless it's found in the app store for your ecosystem (Google Play Store and the iOS App Store), using a password manager,… Continue Reading